Friday, January 29, 2010

hair episode

Sunday, we discovered a chunk of "unknown" in Mack's hair. We washed and conditioned it and used the detangler with no luck. Next up we tried home remedies including olive oil, peanut butter and ice. Still, the unknown clinged strongly to Mack's hair. I had prepared Mack that we may have to cut it out and in turn, cut her hair shorter. She did not like this idea one bit and it led to drama. "When will my hair be long again? I've never had short hair. How fast will it grow?" and what upset her the most..."I need long hair for my dance recital so I can put it up like all the other girls". Oh dear my Mack, you don't leave a stone unturned to you! The next day, I took her to Haircut (catchy name) and prayed I would get someone that new what the heck they were doing. I talked to the lady and explained what happened all the while Mack sat silently in the chair with a sad expression on her face. Well, it turns out we could avoid the short hair, cut off an inch and do some blending. Oh the smile on Mack's face when she heard the news. And, the avoidance of more drama for mom!! The unknown remained unknown. It could have been something from her princess b-day party on Saturday or her brother has a bad habit of taking the gum out of his mouth and "saving it for later".

I should point out this is my child who has had many hair mishaps. At Christmas, she decided to put her zhu zhu pet in her hair with the feet (wheels) going. Not a good idea and if you read the instructions in full it clearly states not to do this. I can't count the number of times Mack herself or her beloved sister have tried to cut her hair as well. Recall the incident where she gave herself bangs here.

So, here is our trip to Haircut...



Big sister waiting patiently, writing in her journal.


Little brother trying hard to be patient and playing with the salon toys, which have been handled by many other kids and probably never cleaned. I even brought toys, Mater and Lightning. He did attempt to race them through hair droppings but I put the kabosh on that. Yes, he is not sitting in the correct position and those are kid-tatoos on his arms.


On a not so pleasant side note, it appears the cold season has officially hit the Riese household. It started with Eli in the form of a barky cough. He seems to be recovering but the rest of the family is now catching it or some other germ bug. Mark has strep throat and sinus infection. My sleep was interrupted 4 times by the girls last night and my sinuses are draining. Uck! Good thing it's Friday.

1 comment:

Antonia Krajicek {Green Horned Unicorn} said...

OMG...the way you wrote the story, I could almost envision myself there. I seriously LOL'd! I remember the trials and tribulations of long hair as a child and can relate to most of Mack's hair stories...ha!

I'm glad they were able to save her hair so she can wear it up like all the other girls. :)