Thursday, October 16, 2008

broken wrist = (

I'll start with the bad news (2 things) but I do have some good news, so if I forget, please remind me = )

Schuyler broke her left wrist on Sunday. Things have been a whirl wind. Where should I start?

On Sunday, I dropped Schuyler off at her best friend's birthday party at Lost in Fun, an indoor playland. I filled out the waiver form and on it left my home number. Mark was at a golf tournament and my dad was watching Eli and Mack so I could go to my photoshoot. Around 3:30, I get a call from my dad. Schuyler has fallen and her wrist/arm is injured - she is upset. They had tried calling my home but my dad couldn't answer at the time but luckily, my aunt was at the same place with her grandson and saw Schuyler and was able to call my dad on his cell and bring her home. Dad promises to keep me updated. I get the 2nd call just as I'm finishing the photo shoot. It doesn't look good and I probably need to take her some place. My photoshoot is within blocks of my home so I quickly say my goodbyes pack my gear and head home. I can tell my baby is hurt - it's in her eyes and it's painful for her to move it. We head to Linc Care and wait for what seems like an extraordinary amount of time. It's not until I take off the make-shift splint her arm was wrapped in that I can tell it's definitely broken. They x-ray the bones and agree. The PA comes in to tell me that it's broken and we need to see a Orthodpedic in the a.m. and prescribes Tylenol with codeine.

I'm upset for a number of reasons: I never got to actually talk to the Dr. on duty, it seems like service was so slow, what exactly did I sign on the waiver since I didn't actually read it, why didn't I call our Pediatric Dr. to see if they were open, why do these things happen when Mark is gone etc... It's a difficult night for Schuyler. She's in pain, restless and doesn't sleep much. We put her in my bed with me and Mark volunteered to sleep in the basement. I'm supposed to only give her the Tylenol every 8 hours or when needed but I didn't really follow this.

Monday comes with very little sleep for Schuyler and I. We get her into Nebraska Orthopedic at 10:30. It's actually broke in two places, but the one is barely broken, just "cracked". It's her left arm, right by her wrist. Dr. suggests that we re-align the bones with a manual procedure to insure proper healing. This means she has to go under anesthesia and a trip to Lincoln Surgical Hospital. They wrap her again - in a much better wrap and we're on our way to Lincoln Surgical. I call Mark to have him take the afternoon off. They get her prepped and she's a trooper - SO brave! The procedure is successful and the Dr. and Anesthesia Dr. come and talk to us and rave about what a great patient she is. However, after her stay in post-op, they bring her to me and she instantly starts crying. She is very confused. I'm holding her and she keeps saying I want my mommy, I don't like this hospital - I want to leave, mommy don't ever leave my side again, my tummy hurts, my arm hurts, I'm dizzy etc... It was more than enough to break my heart. The anesthesiologist says she was not like that at all in post-op but it is normal behavior. We try to get something in her stomach but she refuses and they won't give her pain meds until she eats. Ugh! We get her to eat a tiny something and they give her med. Then, she vomits = ( The nurse gets her a popsicle and Schuyler is okay with it. She's still confused but I just wanted to take her home b/c I'm sure she'll calm down just being out of the hospital. Mark's pulling the car up front and I'm in the wheel chair with Schuyler in my lap and sure enough, she starts to vomit and like most Mom's I try and cup my hands to catch it - Yuck. After that, she felt better. We got her home and she slept most all the remainder of the night.

She is in a cast up to her shoulder - it's yellow of course = ) She'll be in it for 3-4 weeks and then an abbreviated one for 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, we'll have it off by Thanksgiving. She was determined to go to school on Tuesday despite the fact she woke up at 5:45 a.m and had huge bags under her eyes. Her teacher called me before lunch and thought I should come pick her up - she's tired and her fingers are swollen. Schuyler rests and elevates her arm but isn't happy about missing school. She made it the whole day yesterday.

She's thought everything through - like the fact she's done with soccer for the year and will miss volleyball camp. We're not sure how long she'll be out of dance. She's very independent and doesn't like the fact she sometimes needs help when using the bathroom at school. However, she has enjoyed having friends and relatives sign her case but I'm pretty sure she still wishes this wouldn't have happened = (

Here's a few pictures to document...

Schuyler finally falls asleep watching TV on Sunday evening. Taken with super slow shutter speed so a bit blurry.


She's not looking but there is a frown on her face. This is before we went to NE Orthopedic.

The official wording, "displaced fracture @ distal end of radius proximal to wrist Left".

The major breakage is on the right side of the picture and the less concerning break on the left.

Tuesday a.m. Mark signing the cast.

The cast in it's full yellow glory!

The other bad news. Mark's car died on his way to Beatrice, prior to the arm breaking. The official word is it's done dealing and would need a whole new image. The cost of replacing it is not worth it. So, I think we're looking for a new car.

And, a little good news = ) I picked Eli up last week and they said they had news. I'm never sure how to interpret this since it could be good or bad! Eli went to the bathroom on the little potty. Wow! Apparently, he's been watching the older boys. So, we decided to get out our little potty out of storage. Just last night, before bed, he went for us. I'm not sure I'm ready to do the full potty training in full but he can certainly start sitting on it = )




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the cast and sign it! I figured she would pick yellow if she had the opportunity. I'm sure it will heal just great. Hopefully this is the only cast you will have to deal with.:)

Love Aunt E

Jill said...

She would LOVE to have you sign it! Stop by anytime. I'm hoping it's the only cast too!