Saturday, October 21, 2006

They learn so much!

I'm amazed and astonished by how much the child's mind can retain. I got the opportunity to observe both girls at school without them noticing me. I got to see Schuyler concentrate intently on her sound box and work. This is a box where each letter is labeled. In the box contains one or two objects beginning with that letter. The child is to say the word. Then, in a sound book they have hand made, they write the beginning first two letters. For example, the prior week was snowman and another 'sn' object. Ms. Ann, the director, changed objects this week. So, now there was scoop and another 'sc' object. Schuyler is very interested in writing letters and numbers as well as learning to spell. She likes to work on it at home.

The toddler room is always a busy atmosphere with kids in motion since there concentration period is much less. I did observe her reading a book and all eyes and ears were on Ms. Krystal for story time. Mack has an extremely large vocabulary and Mark and I are always surprised by what she says. She is also very good with songs, knowing many by heart. Wheels on the bus is still one of her faves but she also sings 10 monkeys jumping on the bed, wide and deep, and the one that goes "skittlemerrinkadinkadink, skittlemerrinkadoo, I love you. I love you in the morning..."

I have caught a nasty cold and ended up taking part of Thursday off as well as all of Friday. I feel like I'm starting to recover today so hopefully I will continue in this direction. Hope you all have a great weekend.

No comments: