Sunday, January 02, 2011

what we've been up to...

During these past few weeks I have been fortunate to spend a great deal of time with my family. I was in a position where I would loose PTO so what better time then the busy holidays to use it. Well, maybe a lying on a beach with my husband but that wasn't in the cards. So, we made cookies, see exhibit A below. I always have grand plans of tackling a long list of goodies but there is limited time in a day so what I accomplish is usually much different. This year, that included White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal, Molasses, and Sugar Cookies. I had willing subjects helping every step of the way, licking the batter every time I turned around.

Exhibit A -


Mackie completed her after school cheer club, which was conducted by her 1st grade teacher and Schuyler's teacher from 1st grade. Um, I can't believe I'm admitting this but I'm pretty sure I have a future cheerleader on my hands. After the first day, her teacher exclaimed what a natural she was. Sure enough, come performance time, she was a leader in the front row, knowing every step, pom-pom shake and kick with the very cheerleader expression on her face. See Exhibit B below, Mackie with her teacher. Or, as Mark and I often say, 2 peas in a pod.

Exhibit B - (Just for the record, I strongly dislike gym lighting)


I had the privilege of volunteering to make gingerbread houses with Mackie's first grade class. I was expecting sprinkles thrown around like confetti, kids stuffing their mouths with candy at every opportunity and frosting fingers smearing over everything. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how organized and calm the classroom was, a clear sign of the respect they have for their teacher. Mackie, in her true fashion, would not accept help from her anyone, least of all her mother. Every candy was inspected and found just the appropriate place on her house. A perfectionist she is and it was no surprise she was the last one done. See Exhibit C below.

Exhibit C-


This brings us to Christmas. Santa made his annual visit to Mark's work where we took the kids and Schuyler's BFF. Eli is big talk but when it comes to the moment to actually get close to the bearded man he quickly clings to me or Mark. I was hoping with the passing of another year he might have outgrew this tendency but clearly not. He sat on Santa's lap but only with Mark immediately next to him and there was no way he would remove his fingers from his mouth. Oh well. Can't blame him. All of our Christmas celebrations were prior to the 25th this year, which left only the 5 of us at home with no where to be. It was a first for us and extremely relaxing. We enjoyed being in our PJ's, playing toys and the only time we left the comforts of our home was to visit the red box for some movies. Here is our annual attempt at a family photo on Christmas. Not to shabby for our clan. Hey, past years have contained hitting, biting, hair pulling, glares and numerous other not so pleasant actions. See Exhibit D below.

Exhibit D-


The New Year is upon us and Mark and I stayed up until 10:00pm. We enjoyed our ritual of Chinese by candle light with the kids. I no longer am embarrassed to admit how lame we are, not even playing our annual poker. It is a sign that we are tired parents with active lives with children. At least that's the story I'm going with and it is that fact that I am extremely thankful for. Happy New Year's to ALL!

No comments: