Friday, April 17, 2009

when a child hurts, the parent hurts...

I will say that I continue to learn the true meaning that when a child hurts, the parent hurts along with the child. You may remember me saying that Schuyler has been struggling with the friends who are not being good friends at school. Unfortunately, it came to a head this week. When I picked her up from school on Wednesday I noticed a small chunk of hair barely attached. I asked her what happened and she said *Mary pulled her hair. I asked her to describe the whole situation. Apparently, it occurred on playground at recess. Schuyler wanted to play with Mary and **Sarah, but Mary said no; she could not play with Sarah. Schuyler responded that it was not Mary’s choice but Sarah’s. Then, Mary pulled her hair! I was able to confront all parties, Mary, Mary’s father, and Schuyler away from school. I still didn’t get a clear picture of the incident but there was no denying that hair was pulled.

* and ** - names have been changed.

Mark and I have talked to her and her teacher has had a one on one with her, letting her know that this person is not being a “good” friend and there is a difference between tattling and telling a teacher when there is something wrong i.e. she is getting hurt! We are proud of her for being the “better” person by ignoring and not retaliating but we want her to stand up for herself. She did come home with an apology note from Mary the other day = ) I really hope these incidents stop.

Mack got her dance costume the other day and she is beyond excited! We went to get her bag from the classroom and the teacher pulled me aside to tell me a funny story. She said, “If you want a good laugh, put McKenzie in a room with a mirror, her costume, and music. Let her put her costume on all by herself. Then, she will proceed to dance around the room, checking herself out every so often in the mirror. One time she went right up to the mirror, did a little pose and said, “I look SO BEAUTIFUL!” Now, is that Mack or what!?!

I’m thinking spring is here to stay! That makes me happy = )

Mack and her BFF.



2 comments:

Antonia said...

Awww. That story makes me sad for Schuyler :( Kids are so mean. I'm glad to leave that part of childhood behind! Hope it gets better for her (and for you and Mark!).

I love the outfit Mac's friend is wearing! LOL...that part of being a kid I DO miss :)

Jill said...

Yep! I agree completely!