Wednesday, December 17, 2008

xmas cookies, shirley temples, and other holiday cheer

Yes, yes, I know. My very, poor neglected blog. Where have I been you wonder? Xmas shopping, proofing pictures, creating xmas cards, proofing pictures, taking pictures, proofing pictures... you get the picture.

So, I am FINALLY wrapping up all my photography sessions. I have only one left, a sweet newborn =0 That means you'll probably be hearing/seeing more from me.

We started our xmas cookie baking this weekend with some buried cherry chocolate cookies. I had left the room very briefly to use the restroom and return to find Mr. Eli up on the counter eating the marachino cherries, one by one with a little red juice running down his chin. He was on #3 at least and NOT very happy when I took them away. We finished the cookies and used the excees cherry juice for some shirley temple drinks = )


We resumed cookie baking on Monday evening with some sugar cookies. This was my first year with all 3 kids helping. Lets just say we'll be using a different approach next year. I thought it would be fun for the kids to cut out their own cookies. Well, the bickerin first started over who got which cookie cutter (the angel was apparently a hot commodity). I explained you could actually remove the cutter after you had imprinted it on the dough. Well, then they all wanted to stamp in the middle and go all at one time. So, we got a system in place and I thought things would be smooth sailing. Not so, Eli then starts randomly stampting, including places where the girls had already created cutouts. Now there are tears! Eli is removed from the table to do a different activity with dad. Between the girls sneaking cookie dough bites, it goes fairly well. They used 1 3/4 bottles for sprinkles. I'm still not sure how much actually got on the cookies and how much is still on my floor!

The kids had their church xmas program this past Sunday. Our girls are complete hams! Mack was sitting on stage with her legs all crossed. They sang a jump for joy song. They were actually jumping on the risers. Personally, I'm not sure that's the best idea for 3 and 4 year olds but since I'm not the organizer, I'll keep my comments quiet (well, relatively). Schuyler was next to one of her best friends and took any free moment to enthusiastically wave at us in the audience. They did a good job.

On a side note, did you know there is such thing as candy cane milk? Our kids love it. That's usually their night time treat and mine is egg nog with a little holiday cheer = )

We go to visit Santa tomorrow. I'm excited!


No comments: